Luzerne County Council member criticizes colleague’s “threatening behavior”
Upon Further Review: Ben Kopka’s monster rushing night lifted Wyoming Area in ‘96
Martin L. Mattei Middle School staff discuss safety, schedule changes during fifth grade orientation Aug. 24
Luzerne County proposes combining Wilkes-Barre magisterial offices
Sean Robbins returns as Wilkes-Barre Triathlon champion
- Luzerne County Council member criticizes colleague’s “threatening behavior” - 4:56 pm updated: 5:32 pm.
- Matters of Faith: Greater Pittston church listings for the week of Aug. 28, 2016 - 2:50 pm
- Pittston Knights of Lithuania Council 143 to meet Sunday, Sept. 11 - 2:02 pm
- Farmers Market Focus: Brace’s Orchard features nine generations of farming experience - 11:44 am
- Pittston Area National Honor Society students use project to remember fallen Avoca officer - 11:05 am
- Upper Valley Eye Bank meeting Sept. 1 in Plains Township - 10:57 am
- Martin L. Mattei Middle School staff discuss safety, schedule changes during fifth grade orientation Aug. 24 - 10:55 am
- AAA: Average gas prices continued their ascent overnight - 9:06 am
- Sunshine expected in the Wyoming Valley into the weekend - 7:21 am
- Luzerne County prison oversight options debated in light of mounting problems - 7:10 pm updated: 1:32 pm.
- Friends of the Pittston Memorial Library donate $1,000 for Book It Through Pittston 5K Run/Walk - 4:19 pm
- Wyoming Area begins to talk teachers contract - 10:47 am
- AAA: Average gas prices continued to climb overnight - 7:24 am
- Chance of showers, thunderstorms expected as the weekend approaches - 7:19 am
- Luzerne County prison overtime flagged as budgetary concern - 10:53 pm updated: 4:00 pm.
- Luzerne County DA assumes control of drug task force from AG’s office - 5:46 pm updated: 8:24 pm.
- Lawn maintenance reminder for Hughestown residents - 4:13 pm
- Avoca VFW Auxiliary to meet Tuesday, Sept. 6 - 12:28 pm
- Wyoming Area Kiwanis Club to host Duck Derby with $500 grand prize Sept. 4 - 12:24 pm
- AAA: Average gas prices climbed by a few cents overnight - 10:39 am
- Sunshine, patchy fog predicted in the Wyoming Valley - 7:22 am
- Luzerne County proposes combining Wilkes-Barre magisterial offices - 5:32 pm
- Sunshine, patchy fog forecast for the Wyoming Valley into the midweek - 7:22 am
- Showers and thunderstorms, possible windy conditions and heavy rainfall today for Luzerne County - 9:43 am updated: 11:26 am.
- County looking to stop repeated bankruptcies being used to avoid paying property taxes - 4:21 pm updated: 9:42 pm.
- Destiney Seville, of Plymouth, crowned 2016 Pittston Tomato Festival Queen - 2:32 pm
- Additions, changes to annual Pittston Tomato Festival help continue its success - 2:24 pm updated: 5:18 pm.
- Sunny and warm today, rain on Sunday for Wyoming Valley - 9:35 am
- Nature’s Way Purewater Systems in Pittston Twp. changes name to USHydrations - 2:09 pm
- Local Chatter: Exeter middle school students attend health sciences camp at Misericordia University - 2:02 pm
- Greater Pittston library news for the week of Aug. 21, 2016 - 12:42 pm
- Senior Citizens’ News: Geri Fit sessions begin Sept. 27 in Pittston - 12:36 pm
- Pittston Area Intermediate Center announces back-to-school procedures, important dates - 10:58 am
- Pittston Area’s Martin L. Mattei Middle School plans orientation, announces homeroom assignments - 10:48 am
- Back in the Spotlight: Pittston native Lt. Col. Richard Rusnock still flying after all these years - 10:34 am
- AAA: Local, state average gas prices climbed slightly overnight - 8:56 am
- Showers and thunderstorms expected as the weekend comes to a close - 8:02 am
- Thousands flock to Pittston Tomato Fesitval’s opening night Thursday - 9:25 pm updated: 3:59 pm.
- Luzerne County prison to resume employee drug testing, division head says - 1:56 pm
- Matters of Faith: Greater Pittston church listings for the week of Aug. 21, 2016 - 1:12 pm
- West Pittston Library concludes summer reading program with ‘Dunk-A-Librarian’ on Aug. 12 - 11:38 am updated: 1:53 pm.
- Little Eric’s Foundation holding ‘Little Eric’s Game Night-Play For A Cure’ fundraiser Sept. 17 in Wilkes-Barre - 11:30 am
- Pittston Area High School announces homeroom assignments for 2016-17 school year - 11:27 am
- AAA: State, national average gas prices climbed slightly overnight - 7:33 am
- Sunshine, slight chance of rain predicted as the weekend approaches - 7:25 am
- Dalton man charged in Duryea coal breaker arson - 4:01 pm updated: 4:36 pm.
- Wyoming Area awards scholarships totaling over $191,000 during annual event - 1:55 pm
- Farmers Market Focus: Jubilee Balloons a big hit for the children at weekly Pittston City Farmers Market - 1:37 pm
- Pittston Area High School holding freshman orientation Aug. 25 - 12:24 pm
- Sauce Wars participants announced, winner to be named Aug. 21 - 11:31 am
Luzerne County prison oversight options debated in light of mounting problems
Luzerne County officials are debating how to step up oversight of the county prison system in light of recent high-profile problems.Amid ongoing strug...
Friends of the Pittston Memorial Library donate $1,000 for Book It Through Pittston 5K Run/Walk
PITTSTON — The Friends of the Pittston Memorial Library donated a $1,000 Gold Sponsorship to the Book It Through Pittston 5K Run/Fun Walk which ...
Wyoming Area begins to talk teachers contract
EXETER — Contract negotiations began Tuesday for between the Wyoming Area School Board and the teachers union.With the current contract set to e...
AAA: Average gas prices continued to climb overnight
Average gas prices continued to climb overnight, and the local and state averages are up nearly 10 cents from last week.AAA Mid-Atlantic provided the ...
Chance of showers, thunderstorms expected as the weekend approaches
The chance of rain will plague the Wyoming Valley as the weekend approaches.The National Weather Service indicated it was 59 degrees as of 6:54 a.m. a...
Luzerne County prison overtime flagged as budgetary concern
Overtime is “trending very high” at the Luzerne County Correctional Facility and expected to run about $300,000 over budget by the end of ...
Avoca Ancient Order of Hibernians sponsoring golf tournament Sept. 3 in Taylor
The Avoca Ancient Order of Hibernians will sponsor the Thomas P. Durkin Memorial Open with an 8 a.m. shotgun start Saturday, Sept. 3 at Pine Hills Gol...
Wyoming Area’s soccer program hosts Meet the Warriors night Aug. 21
EXETER — Wyoming Area’s soccer program hosted a Meet the Warriors event Sunday, Aug. 21 in the Wyoming Area Secondary Center Cafeteria.Mem...
Sean Robbins returns as Wilkes-Barre Triathlon champion
LEHMAN TWP. — While the 35th annual Wilkes-Barre Triathlon may not have been the most meaningful to Sean Robbins, it turned out to be one of his...
Chris McCabe avenges last year’s second-place finish to conquer Pittston Tomato Festival 5K
PITTSTON — Last year Chris McCabe wasn’t happy with his second-place finish in the Pittston Tomato Festival 5K Run.So this year, at the 18...
H.S. tennis: Wyoming Area girls poised to continue successful run
After two straight seasons in double figures in wins, Wyoming Area again has a chance to rank among the top girls tennis teams in the Wyoming Valley C...
H.S. golf: Mix of experience, newcomers on Wyoming Area team
Wyoming Area returns four players with starting experience, including a pair of three-year starters, as it prepares to open the Wyoming Valley Confere...
MULTIMEDIA - PHOTO STORE
Peeking into the Past: 1959 stock plan included retrieving bodies from Knox Mine in Pittston
In a recent Peeking into the Past we noted that in 1963, the Glider Inn, Browntown, won the National Division pennant in the Greater Pittston Slow-Pit...
Nutrition Corner: Learning how to cook and enjoy leafy greens
A few weeks ago, I wrote on the importance of knowing your salad greens. Today I would like to give pointers on how to enjoy cooked leafy greens, whic...
Wilkes-Barre Academy receives EITC donation from Landmark Community Bank
Landmark Community Bank, through the EITC program, contributed to Wilkes-Barre Academy’s pre-k program. At the presentation, from left, are: Cap...
Misericordia University to hold nine fall prevention workshops in September
DALLAS TWP. — Misericordia University is giving senior citizens an opportunity to learn how to prevent falls in and out of the home with nine fr...
My Corner, Your Corner: Another fruitful festival has come and gone
After four days, 51 weeks of planning come to an end Sunday.I stopped by the Pittston Tomato Festival grounds on Wednesday evening out of curiosity. T...
Man on the Street: ‘Who is someone you admire?’
“My mother. She’s a strong, solid, secure figure.”Amanda BegleyPittston“My mom and dad for the job they did raising me.”...
Peeking into the Past: Sports adversaries from Pittston schools reunite in Japan in 1953
1953 - 63 Years AgoMrs. and Mrs. John Borini of Pittston Township had three sons serving in the armed forces. Pvt. Stephen Borini served with the infa...
My Corner, Your Corner: Is it strange to celebrate a tomato? I think not
New York City celebrates New Year’s Eve on Times Square.Pasadena has the Tournament of Roses Parade.New Orleans has Mardi Gras.In Greater Pittst...
My Corner, Your Corner: What should I be when I grow up?
Figuring out what you want to do in life is never an easy thing.As early as middle school, guidance counselors asked my classmates and me what we woul...
Maria Remembers: ‘Mama, why don’t I have a sister?’
I asked Mama why I didn’t have a sister many times in my younger years. Perhaps it was after spending hours alone playing with cutout dolls, or ...
Life Deconstructed: In this election season, here’s where my vote is going
I am not, by nature, a political animal. I will never openly comment about my affiliations, nor would I expect anyone to care what they are. I’m...
Peeking into the Past: Women’s shorts called inappropriate attire for Pittston City streets in 1960
1950 - 66 Years AgoOn June 25, 1950, the North Korean Army attacked South Korean forces. In quick response, the United States readied armed forces to ...
Fallen corrections officer Kristopher Moules was ‘a coach, mentor, friend’ at MVP Sports Academy in Exeter
EXETER — Kristopher Moules had two passions in life — upholding the law and playing baseball.One place where he could often be found was t...
Kelly Services opens new location on Centerpoint Boulevard in Jenkins Township
JENKINS TWP. — After several relocations in Lackawanna County, Kelly Services has a new home.The business officially moved into its new facility...
Chiseled Fitness Studio in Pittston offers workouts for all ages, will hold free classes Aug. 1-6
PITTSTON — When Ashley Faraday was in college, she said she didn’t struggle with the “Freshman 15,” she struggled with the ...
Reruns Consignment Shop opens in Wyoming, offers clothing and more
WYOMING — Owning a business has become a tradition in Courtney Brenner’s family.Brenner, 39, recently opened Reruns Consignment Shop locat...
Dunkin’ Donuts of Northeastern Pennsylvania announces Iced Coffee Day on July 13 to benefit Saint Joseph’s Center
SCRANTON — Dunkin’ Donuts of Northeastern Pennsylvania announced Wednesday, July 13 will be the seventh annual Iced Coffee Day to support ...
Kathleen Noss, D.O. joins Partners in Pediatrics in Pittston
PITTSTON — Kathleen Noss, D.O., has joined Geisinger’s Partners in Pediatrics, 57 N. Main St., Pittston, to serve as a pediatrician, carin...